Diploma in Shipping Operations and Management (Level 5)
The course concentrates on some of the key management decision areas within the shipping industry by providing learners with an in-depth coverage of the key issues relating to shipbroking, marketing, port operations and management as well as the legal issues that govern the operations of the shipping industry
The Diploma in Shipping Operations and Management course is ideal for anybody already working in the industry and wishing to obtain the knowledge necessary for career progression. It is also suitable for learners looking for a career change by obtaining a recognised shipping qualification.
Shipbroking Principles and Practice
Law of International Trade and Transport
Port Operations and Management
Marketing for Shipping Organisations
- Certificate in Shipping Operations and Practice
- An approved Certificate or Diploma in a relevant area of study
Relevant experience is taken into consideration for students 21 years of age and over who have not completed any formal qualifications.
General Learning Objectives of the Course
On completion of the course learners will:
- Understand the principles and concepts of shipbroking practices which are relevant to the operation of a shipping/transport operation and gain understanding of the methods that may be applied.
- Be familiar with the processes by which ships are bought and sold.
- Understand the functions, processes and procedures of port operations and management.
- Have an understanding of business structures, organisations and functions in shipping.
- Have a clear understanding of the legal principles, which apply in the carriage of goods by land, air and sea and the employment of staff.
- Understand the marketing principle and practices with particular reference to the operations and business needs of maritime organisations.